Our Autumn Term topic in Year 1 is.... Kerpow! Superheroes!
To view our curriculum map for the Autumn term please click here
In Year One children will read their individual reading books once per week with the class teacher or teaching assistant. Sometimes children may also read as part of an intervention or with a parent helper, student or volunteer. Children will bring two books home per week. Please try to read each night at home.
Children will also take part in a daily guided reading carousel. Children will access a range of activities across the week including phonics activities, guided reading with an adult, individual reading, phonics games on the computers/laptops and a follow up task related to their guided reading book.
In Year One our PE days are as follows:
Miss Partington: Tuesday's and Friday's
Mrs Chambers: Tuesday's and Friday's
Please ensure that PE kits are left in school everyday and that all kit including pumps are named. Thank you.
In English this term we will be focusing on the texts 'Supertato' and 'Superworm'.
We will be...
- Writing short simple sentences using full stops and capital letters.
- Creating character descriptions of The Evil Pea and the children's own super veggies!
- Designing 'Wanted' posters for the Evil Pea.
- 'Re-writing the story of 'Supertato' with short, simple sentences.
- Creating new versions of Supertato (linked to the supertato homework task)
- Non-Fiction writing about real life superheroes.
- Creating 'real life superhero; information booklets
Year 1 Team
Mrs Glover (Mon-Weds)
Mrs Hughes (Thurs-Fri)
Mrs Barry (Mornings Mon-Fri)
Mrs Lamb & Mrs Radcliffe
- Please remember to check Seesaw for updates, reminders, letters and photographs.
- Please remember to sign and return the permission slip for our trip to Imagine That!
Autumn trips & events
- Superhero day-biscuit decorating, mask making, photo taking and much more! 24th September 2018.
- Imagine that! 7th November 2018.
- Taste testing (our super senses day)
- Real life superhero day (Autumn 2)
In Maths we will be focusing on:
- Place Value (within 50)
- Addition and Subtraction (witihin 20)
- 2D and 3D Shapes
We teach Maths through a range of practical activities, differentiated challenges and work in the children's books.
Homework is given out each Friday and is to be completed and handed in by the following Wednesday. Homework will be a mixture of hands on tasks and challenges alongside reading, writing and maths. We try to make homework as fun as possible to engage all children! Children will also be given a purple mash login to complete homework challenges and tasks at home.
Spellings will be given out every Friday. The children will then do their spelling test the following Thursday. Children will usually have 10 spellings to learn and will have a sheet of spellings stuck into their spellings book, with room to practise throughout the week. Spellings will consist of a mixture of phase 2-5 tricky words, Year 1 common exception words and words that follow certain rules and spelling patterns.
Being able to apply the spelling pattern in writing is just as important as getting 10/10!
This term in Science we will be learning all about the human body and our senses. We will be learning and labelling all of the different body parts and taking part in senses and taste tests. We will be busy looking at the changes around us during the season of Autumn and as part of our ongoing topic work we will also be studying materials and trying to figure out which material would make a best cape for a superhero!
To view the National Curriculum expectations for Year One children please click here