In Year One children will read their individual reading books once per week with the class teacher or teaching assistant. Sometimes children may also read as part of an intervention or with a parent helper, student or volunteer. At the moment, children will bring two books home per week; a phonics book and a 'free choice' book. Please try to read at least 3 times a week at home, whether this is with a school reading book or a book from home.
Children will also take part in a daily guided reading session whereby they will discuss different texts and develop their retrieval and inference skills.
In Year One our PE days are Tuesday and Thursday.
Children are to come to school in their PE kit. They can wear their outdoor hoodie instead of a school jumper and trainers instead of pumps if they like. No football kits or branded clothing items please.
Spellings will be given out every Tuesday. The children will then do their spelling test the following Monday. Children will usually have 10 spellings to learn and will have have a sheet of spellings tucked into their spellings wallet, with room to practise throughout the week. Spellings will consist of a mixture of phase 2-5 tricky words, Year 1 common exception words and words that follow certain rules and spelling patterns.
Being able to apply the spelling pattern in writing is just as important as getting 10/10!
Year 1 Team
Mrs Nadin (Mornings Mon-Fri)
Mrs Royle (Mon - Fri)
Homework is in the style of a 'Pick n Mix'. The children are given one sheet at the beginning of the term that contains lots of different activities that can be completed independently or with an adult. Homework is only returned at the end of the term when we have a celebration day. On this day the children will get to show all the tasks they have completed to the rest of the year group and also Year 2. There are lots of activities to choose from, we just ask that at least 10 of them are completed over the term. We try to make homework as fun as possible to engage all children!
Autumn trips & events
- Superhero party day- mask making, puppet making, superhero missions and much more! TBC
- Taste testing (our super senses day) TBC
- Real life hero virtual visit day TBC
- Please remember to check Seesaw and our school Facebook page for updates, reminders, letters and photographs.
In English this term we will be focusing on the various texts linked to our Superhero topic including 'Supertato' and 'Charlie's Superhero Underpants'. We will be...
- Writing simple sentences using full stops and capital letters.
- Performing poetry.
- Creating story maps.
- Writing speech for characters.
- Creating character descriptions of The Evil Pea and the children's own super veggies!
- Designing 'Wanted' posters for the Evil Pea.
- Creating new adventures for Supertato.
- Writing questions for an author.
- Writing invitations to our Superhero Party.
- Writing simple non-chronological reports about Rosa Parks.
- Writing sentences about our aspirations.
- Retelling exciting parts of stories.
- Innovating a narrative.
In maths in Autumn we will be focusing on:
- Place Value
- Addition and Subtraction
- 2D and 3D Shapes
This term in Science we will be learning all about the human body and our senses. We will be learning about and labelling all of the different body parts and taking part in senses and taste tests. We will also be focusing on materials and trying to figure out which material would make the best cape for a superhero! We will also focus on the season of Autumn and look for changes around us!